Prologue

I have wanted to start a blog for longest time, after being an avid reader for most of my life. I know that in the year 2022, traditonal blogs feel almost obsolete. Nowadays, we favour more short-form, snappy, digital content, in the form of tiktok, Instagram and YouTube. I do actually worry that consuming all this short-form content has made my already short attention span virtually non existent.

When I first arrived in Mexico City, I did try to make some tiktoks.  I was told to do this by friends back home, but I thought it would be a nice way of documenting  mu travels with the potential of becoming tiktok famous and making bank (as the kids say). However, I quickly realised I did not have the motivation to keep up with this - did I mention I have a short attention span? And also could not handle constant comments, both negative and positive, for, strangers on the internet. I've realised I am a some-what private person so broadcasting my daily life and thoughts all over the internet made me feel incredibly self conscious and exposed. It ironic saying this as i am now writing down my thoughts on the internet, but a written blog just makes me more comfortable. It allows me to document  my daily travel life whilst still retaining some level of anonymity. 

So, here we are. I suppose I should start with a little explaination as to where I am, who I am, and what my rough plans are. 


I am Liv. 28 years old and currently solo travelling Mexico. I arrived in this country 4 weeks ago today, and it has both flown by whilst simultaneously dragged (in the best way). I began my travels in  Mexico City, before moving onto Oaxaca City, then spending two weeks in Puerto Escondido, and am currently back in Oaxaca for the start of Dia de los Muertos.  Tomorrow I head to San Cristobal and that is as far as I have planned so far. I would like to keep moving South until Argentina. But who knows how long my energy or bank balance will stretch. 

I feel incredibly lucky to be here right now, but also want to acknowledge that I worked really hard to get here. After experiencing a difficult few years, then a pandemic, and then working in a job that wasn't really going anywhere, I felt like I needed a drastic change and was craving adventure. I needed something to challenge me and allow me to put myself out my comfort zone and to help me find myself (ugh sorry if that made you cringe). But, I also really wanted to just have fun and let my hair down with no stress or responsibilities. I love experiencing new cultures and  really thrive on change. Couple this with a deep hatrid of routine and the monotony of a 9-5 life, and travelling just made sense. 

Whilst in Mexico, I have read quite a few travel books and memoirs, and this had inspired me to write my own stories. I'm hoping to use this blog to write more serious, thought provoking essays and posts - as opposed to the absolute drivel I write in my diary everyday. But also, after being here for 4 weeks I really feel like I need a project. I love aimlessly travelling but I also want to feel I am doing something worthwhile and am using my brain. Oh, I also really need to work on my spanish so I'm writing this here to hold myself accountable. 

So, welcome to my blog and if you have made it thus far - well done and thank you. I have no idea how often I will write here or what I will write, I'm just hoping that words will appear whenever I open a new blog post. 



Comments